At Computex 2017, Intel announced that its new Core i9 family would add significantly more cores than the old Core i7 HEDT CPU families had ever offered. And yesterday, the company has launched brand new Intel 18-core Core i9 processor. The core i9 will compete with the existing powerful Ryzen processors from the AMD.
All of these new chips are based on the same Skylake-X refresh with a diminished amount of L3, but significantly more L2 per CPU core.
The Core i9 will be launched in late August and September, according to the chip launch date is different. Specifications and price of the Core i9 have been revealed though the official announcement is yet to make.
The core i9 processor is divided into 12, 14, 16 and 18 cores. The 12-core will be launched on 28th August and rest of the three will be available in stores from 25th September.
Technical specifications of the Intel Core i9:
- Core i9-7980XE (18 cores, 36 threads): 2.6GHz; Boost, 4.2Ghz at 4.4GHz
- Core i9-7960X (16 cores, 32 threads): 2.8GHz; Boost, 4.2Ghz at 4.4GHz
- Core i9-7940X (14 cores, 28 threads): 3.1GHz; Boost, 4.3Ghz at 4.4GHz
- Core i9-7920X (12 cores, 24 threads): 2.9GHz; Boost, 4.3Ghz at 4.4GHz
The price of the Intel Core i9:
- Intel Core i9-7980XE: $ 1,999
- Intel Core i9-7960X: $ 1,699
- Intel Core i9-7940X: $ 1,399
- Intel Core i9-7920X: $ 1,199
So, will you buy any of these Intel 18-core Core i9 processors? Share your thoughts in the comment box below.